Having worked behind the stick in some of Glasgow’s best cocktail venues as well as time spent working in the bar scene in Australia, Liam set up Flùr to unearth and give light to some spectacular drink producers and to showcase creative serves that allow the liquid to shine.
Favourite cocktail: Fino Sherry. Tonic Water. Ice. Lemon Wedge. Bish, Bash, Bosh
Favourite spirit: Scotch will always be my day one, but I have an affinity for Rum made in a wooden still that hasn’t been scrubbed in far too long a time.
World Cocktail Day – Top Tips For Cocktail Perfection:
- Taste as you make. Every time. Work in this way as it’s easier to correct errors.
- Fit your recipe around you. Recipes are a guideline, proof that someone, somewhere has made this cocktail before and balanced it to their taste, but that doesn’t mean it’s right for your party. Start with small amounts of modifiers and add more until you personally think your drink slaps.
- Use the cheapest ingredients first! Add your sugar & citrus first, not the £50 Scotch! Work in this way as it’s easier to correct errors.
Flùr is a neighbourhood shop and bar found in the beating heart of Glasgow’s West End, Partick. They specialise in a rotating list of seasonal cocktails and serves, low-intervention wines and drinking with a difference.
World Cocktail Day – JUNIPER?! I HARDLY KNOW HER!
- 25ml Hernö Old Tom Gin
- 15ml Aquafaba
- 5 Fresh Raspberries
- 20ml Lemon Juice
- 20ml Simple Syrup
- 80ml Pedrino Ruby Port & Tonic
- A slice of Lemon Peel
Garnish: Lemon peel & raspberry on skewer
Ice: Large, cubed ice
Add the simple syrup, lemon juice, a slice of lemon peel, the fresh raspberries, aquafaba, Hernö Old Tom and ice to a shaker and give it a good old shake. Open the shaker and add the Pedrino Ruby Port & Tonic. Fill a tall glass to the brim with ice and strain the cocktail into the glass through a fine mesh strainer
World Cocktail Day – ONE IN THE HAND, TWO IN THE SACK
- 25ml Goslings Black Seal Rum
- 15ml Lime Juice
- Pandan Leaf & Kaffir Lime Syrup
- 100ml of Pedrino Sherry & Tonic
Garnish: Lime wheel/wedge or Pandan Leaf
Ice: Large, cubed ice
To make the fragrant simple syrup, add one chopped Pandan leaf and two Kaffir Lime leaves to 100ml of boiling water and leave overnight to infuse. Bring the infused water to the boil with 200g of caster sugar, then lower the heat and dissolve before leaving to cool. Juice a lime half into a tall glass with ice, then add your Pandan/Kaffir syrup, Goslings Black Seal Rum and finish by topping with Pedrino Sherry & Tonic before stirring well.