The ultimate excuse to indulge is just around the corner, who doesn’t cracking open an Easter egg or feasting on a hot cross bun smothered in melted butter?
Dust off your apron and whip up some of these sweet treats for Easter, share them with the fam and you’ll be ever so popular…..
Sweet treats for Easter – Mini Egg Fridge Cake
Ingredients – For the cake
- 150g gluten free digestive biscuits
- 100g mini marshmallows
- 100g South African Raisins
- 200g mini eggs
- 150g golden syrup
- 125g butter
- 200g milk chocolate, chopped
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
Ingredients – For the topping
- 200g white chocolate
- 100g mini eggs
- Prepare a 9-inch square baking tin by lining it with non-stick baking paper.
- Break your digestive biscuits (so they are all different sizes) and crush your mini eggs. Then place them into a large mixing bowl along with your raisins and marshmallows. Mix them together.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and golden syrup together, until it starts to bubble. Then turn off the heat and add in your chopped dark and milk chocolate, which should gradually melt. Once it has, stir it through until the mixture is lovely and smooth.
- Pour your melted chocolate mixture into the large mixing bowl and mix together so that everything is well coated. Then spoon the mixture into your prepared baking tin. Press it down so its even.
- Melt your white chocolate for the topping and then pour it over the top. Whilst the chocolate is still melted, cover with extra mini eggs – some whole and others crushed.
- Allow to set in the fridge for 2-3 hours until completely firm and the chocolate has set. Remove from the tin and use a sharp knife to cut into 16 squares. Enjoy!
Sweet treats for Easter – White Chocolate Truffles with Cherry, Coconut and Hazelnut (gluten-free)
Serves 15 Prep time – 20 mins
These quick and easy chocolate truffles pair cherries with white chocolate for a juicy and indulgent treat, and work for gluten-free diets.
- 75g pitted fresh cherries
- 1 tbsp brandy or Kirsch liquor
- 50g ground hazelnuts
- 90g pitted medjool dates
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsps desiccated coconut
- 2 tsps coconut oil
- 150g white chocolate finely chopped
- 4 tbsps dehydrated fruit powder like cherry, raspberry or strawberry
- Place the cherries, brandy, hazelnuts, dates, cocoa, coconut and coconut oil in a food processor and blend until very smooth. Roll out the balls, place on a tray and freeze until firm.
- Place the chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave for 1 minute until smooth. Stir well. Line a small tray with non-stick baking paper. Using a toothpick, dip each ball into the chocolate, and shake off the excess. Place on the tray and sprinkle with the fruit powder. Repeat with the other truffles. Refrigerate when done until firm, about 10 minutes.
Sweet treats for Easter – Chocolate Eggstravaganza
This Easter cocktail is literally a chocoholics dream! An Easter Egg filled to the brim with a boozy delicious concoction. It’s based on the classic frozen Mudslide cocktail, and the joy is once you’ve polished off your cocktail, you can eat the egg too! If you have little ones, just fill their eggs with a chocolate ice cream milkshake.
For the cocktail
- 45ml vanilla vodka
- 45ml Baileys
- 45ml Kalhua
- 30ml Crème de Cacao
- 1-2 large scoops of chocolate ice cream
For the topping
- Squirty Cream
- Crumbled chocolate cake
- Mini eggs
- Colourful sprinkles
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate sauce
- In a blender add the vodka, Baileys, Kalhua, Crème de Cacao, and the ice cream
- Cover and blend well
- Remove the lid of your Easter egg with a hot knife.
- Carefully pour into she easter eggshell
- Swirl the cream onto the top, crumble over some chocolate cake, then quickly stud with the mini marshmallows, mini eggs, and Maltesers.
- Drizzle a little chocolate sauce for extra decadence, then finish with colourful sprinkles and coordinating straws.
Sweet treats for Easter – Baileys Original Irish Cream Whipped Air Cocktail
Makes 2 (1.5 units per cocktail)
Baileys Original Irish Cream chocolate frappe with Italian meringue and candy floss. An indulgent adult twist on the whipped Dalgona coffees and iced hot chocolates we saw all over our feeds last year, the Baileys Treat Report expects we’ll experiment with whipping even more drinks in 2021 to bring a playful joy to our favourite beverages.
For the Italian Meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- 170 grams caster sugar
- 50 ml water
For the Baileys Original Irish Cream frappe:
- 180 ml Baileys Original Irish Cream (3.1 units)
- 2 tbsps cocoa powder
- 200 ml whole milk
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Handful of ice cubes
- Chopped nuts; peanuts, almonds or pecans all work well
- Crushed chocolate biscuits
- Candy floss
To make the Italian meringue
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and attach the whisk attachment.
- Place the sugar and 50ml water in a small pan and set over a low heat until the sugar has melted.
- Once melted, turn up the heat slightly and cook until the sugar mixture reaches 110 C. At this point, start to whisk the egg whites until they reach stiff peaks.
- When the sugar reaches 120 C pour the syrup slowly over the egg whites and whisk for about 5 minutes until the mixture is thick, glossy and shiny.
To make the Baileys Original Irish Cream frappe (3.1 units)
- Place all of the ingredients into the bowl/jug of a high-speed blender and blitz until thick and creamy, then divide between 2 glasses.
- Spoon the Italian meringue on top of the slushie then with a blow torch, carefully brown the meringue.
- Decorate with the nuts and chocolate biscuits then finally crown with the candy floss.
Sweet treats for Easter – Ultimate Maple Hot Chocolate
- 700ml whole milk
- 2 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Left over easter egg or milk chocolate
- 2 1/2 tbsp double cream
- Gently warm the milk in a saucepan then stir in the maple syrup and vanilla paste.
- Put the cornflour and cocoa powder in a small mixing bowl, then spoon in a little of the warm milk. Mix until just combined, then pour back into the pan.
- Whisk for 4-5 minutes until well combined and thickened.
- Break-up the chocolate into small pieces and stir until melted.
- Stir in the double cream and serve hot.