‘Staycation’, a word that became subsequently overused during the pandemic will soon be replaced by the idea and hope of an “Indian Summer”, a term used to describe a warm, calm spell that occurs in Autumn.
After having little to no sun and going in and out of lockdowns for 18 months, holidays in Autumn have become the more favoured months to travel, thanks to the lovely late summer weather, fewer crowds around and spending more time outdoors.
With all this in mind, sunscreen application is still vital as UVA and UVB rays are still present, all year around. Therefore, to protect both the youthful appearance and health of the skin, daily application of a broad-spectrum sunscreen (meaning it protects against both UVA and UVB rays) is essential for all skin types and skin tones.
SPF Top Tips
SPF in makeup doesn’t give enough protection
- Not only will the SPF probably be a very low factor, but it’s likely that you’re not reapplying it every two hours, which is important. Most SPF in makeup doesn’t provide physical protection (more on that later), and most people don’t apply it everywhere it is needed, like your ears and the back of the neck.
Choose a physical sunscreen
- Physical sunscreens give you a physical barrier of protection against the sun’s harmful rays. They can be thick, heavy and cast a white tone on skin, which can be off-putting. However, there are amazing physical sunscreens out there.
Sunscreen doesn’t equal breakouts
- If you are acne or breakout prone, look for a non-comedogenic (non-blocking) SPF.
Use more sunscreen than you think and look at it as part of your daily skincare routine
- One of the most common misconceptions is how much sunscreen to apply. Most people only apply 25 to 50 percent of the recommended amount of sunscreen required for adequate protection. It’s so important to find a luxurious feeling SPF that you enjoy applying. Don’t forget all the areas of your skin like your eyelids, lips and ears.
Understanding the different types of threats to skin is key when seeking sun protection says Dr Beatriz Molina founder of Medikas. There are two types of UV light which are harmful to any skin – UVA and UVB. Historically, sunscreen focus has primarily been around the prevention of burning via protection of UVB rays. As the melanin in our skin acts as our built-in anti-sunburn bio-technology, this has led to confusion surrounding the necessity for the daily application of sunscreens in people with darker skin tones.
- UVA rays can prematurely age your skin – present in equal measure 365 days a year
- UVB rays can burn your skin. Mostly present during afternoon hours in summer months.
- Too much exposure to UVA or UVB rays can cause skin cancer.
AlumierMD has a highly effective and award-winning sunscreen range. Dermatology specialist Dr Zahedi recommends AlumierMd’s sunscreens, quoting that “they feel like a moisturisor and to think of it as another part of your skin care regime.”
Award-winning Sheer Hydration Broad Spectrum SPF 40 (Versatile Tint) is a sheer physical sunscreen that provides powerful broad-spectrum protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays. It uses a combination of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide while moisturising with vitamin E. This formula is also packed with free-radical-quenching antioxidants, including a stable vitamin C, resveratrol, grape seed extract, and glutathione. Apply generously and evenly to the face, neck, and chest 15 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply as needed or after swimming, washing, towel drying or heavy perspiring.
Clear Shield Broad SpectrumSPF 42 is a lightweight, non-comedogenic, quick-drying physical sunscreen that provides powerful broad-spectrum protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays using a combination of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Niacinamide soothes and relieves redness and sodium hyaluronate hydrates.
Moisture Matte Broad Spectrum SPF 40 (Comes in Ivory, Sand and Ambre shades) provides powerful broad-spectrum protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays using a combination of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Antioxidants like caffeine, silybin and knotgrass extract protect skin from UV-induced free radical damage. This formula lightly moisturizes to smooth and hydrate, while absorbing excess oil to create a matte finish. Cutting-edge, colour-encapsulated beads blend on the skin, creating a sheer tint and healthy glow. You can use this tinted sunscreen as your daily foundation.
AlumierMD are a medical-grade skincare brand, which means they use active ingredients that can transform skin – acne, hyperpigmentation, or rosacea for example – ensuring healthy, glowing skin from inside out.
The percentages of AlumierMD’s ingredients are higher, and the ingredients are bio-active. The products are cruelty free and sustainable, while clinical testing ensures exceptional results in correcting a huge variety of skin conditions.
AlumierMD products can only be purchased following a skincare consultation with one of the brand’s licenced professionals; this protocol reflects not only the power and potency of the products, but also ensures that hyper-customised regimes are developed, and swift, long-lasting results are achieved, in line with your skin concerns.