The classic Yorkshire Greats Toastie combines Yorkshire Cheddar with Red Onion and Henderson’s Relish to create a nostalgic home comfort whilst the Ploughman’s Toastie uses Yorkshire Red with Ham, Pickle and Gherkins to pack a punch.
If they aren’t to your taste, how about carb heaven with the Mac and Yorkshire Cheddar Cheese Toastie (my personal favourite) or split the crowd with the Yorkshire Red Cheese, Ham and Pineapple Toastie.
The Yorkshire Creamery uses specially selected fresh Yorkshire milk and ages their cheese to perfection to create a range of tasty cheeses that ‘tastes like they ought to’. Everybody loves a toastie – why not try one of our favourites?
Yorkshire Cheddar, Red Onion & Hendersons relish toastie
- 2 slices thick white bread
- 1 sliced red onion
- 50g grated Yorkshire Cheddar
- 2tbsp Yorkshire Butter
- Splash of Henderson’s Relish
1. Finely slice the red onion
2. Grate the cheese
3. Butter the bread
4. Build the sandwich, with the buttered side of the bread facing outwards
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan to medium heat
6. Add the sandwich, butter side down, put a lid on the pan, then allow the toastie to cook for 2 minutes
7. After 2 minutes, flip the sandwich and replace the lid – cook for a further 2 minutes, or until the bread is browned and the cheese melted
8. If you need to allow any additional time to allow the bread to brown – just flip it back and allow it to cook to your liking
Ploughman’s Toastie with Yorkshire Red [ham, cheese, pickles]
- 2 slices of thick white bread
- 2tsp of Yorkshire Butter
- 50g of thinly sliced Yorkshire Red Cheese
- 1 slice of Ham
- 1tbsp of Pickle
- 1 sliced Gherkin
Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1 tsp Yorkshire Butter.
Spread the pickle on one side of the bread and top with ham and the cheese the place the other slice of bread butter side up.
Place butter-side down in the hot frying pan. Cook until the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 3 – 5 minutes per side.
Top with a sliced gherkin and enjoy!
Mac and Yorkshire Cheddar Cheese Toastie
· 150g macaroni pasta
· 25g plain flour
· 25g Yorkshire Butter
· 300ml milk
· 150g grated Yorkshire Cheddar
· 8 slices white bread
· Yorkshire Butter, for spreading
1. Prepare the macaroni cheese: Cook the pasta 2 minutes less than on the pack, then drain and put to one side.
2. In a small saucepan, add flour and Yorkshire Butter. Cook for a few minutes until golden brown. Pour in the milk in stages, starting with a small amount, whisking vigorously each time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in the grated cheese and stir until it’s melted and bubbly. Add cooked pasta and stir it all together.
3. Making the toasties:
Step 1: Heat your toastie machine or frying pan.
Step 2: Butter each slice of bread on one side.
Step 3: Put a slice of bread, butter side down, on the hot plate and add a large spoonful of macaroni cheese.
Step 4: Top with another slice of bread – butter side up and close the toastie machine.
Step 5: Cook for 3 minutes then carefully open the machine – cook for a minute or 3 longer if needed, so the bread is well cooked and golden brown.
Step 5: Repeat to make as many toasties as you like – but let them rest for a few minutes before serving as the filling will be scorching hot!
Yorkshire Red Cheese, Ham and Pineapple and Cheese Toastie
- 3tbsp Yorkshire Butter
- 8 slices bread
- 2 slices ham
- 200g Yorkshire Red cheese (thinly sliced)
- 1 small tin pineapple, drained and finely chopped
Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
Spread Yorkshire Butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
Place up to 4 of the slices of bread, butter side down in the pan.
Top each piece with one slice of cheese, a slice of ham and about 2 tbsp of the chopped pineapple.
Place remaining slices of bread on top with the butter side up. When the bottom of the sandwich is golden brown, flip sandwiches, and cook until browned on the other side, about 2 – 3 minutes.
Repeat steps with remaining ingredients if all four sandwiches do not fit in your pan.