A recent study identified the most frequently searched questions about meditation on Google, led by “What is Meditation?” and “How Do I Know if I’m Meditating Correctly?”.
The study, conducted by meditation and breathwork experts at Art of Living, analyzed the search volume for various terms and queries related to meditation to determine the most-searched-for meditation question from across the world. The analysis examined the average monthly search numbers for different meditation-related queries over the past year.
1. “What is Meditation?” – 107,700 monthly global searches
The analysis revealed that the most Googled question related to meditation is, “What is Meditation?”, receiving an average of 107,700 searches worldwide.
Meditation is a journey, an art, and a skill of turning into your inner self. It’s about being present in the moment and acknowledging your thoughts and feelings without judgment. Think of it as a mental workout, building your mindfulness muscle.
Meditation simply means relaxing and reposing in your true nature. You could call it peace, love, or bliss. The key thing to understand is that you must relax to meditate.
2. “How Do I Know if I’m Meditating Correctly?” – 35,000 monthly global searches
There’s no single “right” way to meditate. The key to knowing you’re meditating correctly is if you’re conscious of your breath and able to gently refocus when your mind drifts. It’s about the ongoing practice, not achieving perfection.
After meditating, your body feels calm and composed with increased awareness. You also feel content with yourself and everything around you.
3. “How to Start Meditating?” – 33,720 monthly global searches
To begin meditating, one can seek guidance from various sources:
- Guided meditation apps: These offer structured sessions with instructions and calming music.
- Meditation teachers: Learning from an experienced teacher provides personalized guidance and the opportunity to ask questions.
- Self-guided meditation: Start with focusing on your breath or using a mantra to anchor your attention.
4. “Effects of Meditation” – 33,090 monthly global searches
Meditation offers a multitude of benefits for your emotional and physical well-being, including:
- Improved symptoms of anxiety and mood disorders
- Reduced symptoms of depression
- Enhanced ability to be natural and centered in any situation
- Improved self-confidence
- Increased focus and clarity of mind
- Decreased stress
- Increased sense of calm and peace in life
- Increased energy
- Improved memory
- Decreased symptoms of ADHD
5. “Where Can I Learn to Meditate?” – 14,940 monthly global searches
There are many gateways into meditation, and they each have their advantages. The flexibility and breadth of meditation apps are great. That being said, nothing compares to the depth of knowledge, personal attention, and guidance that a trained teacher can offer you.
Learning with an experienced teacher also gives you a chance to ask your questions and get timely, useful answers that could guide you in building your new practice.
6. “Can I meditate at home? – 11,230 monthly global searches
Absolutely! There’s no incorrect location for meditation, affirming that you can absolutely meditate at home. Just choose a peaceful area in your home, select a meditation style that suits you, and you’re ready to begin.
7. “Why should I meditate?” – 8,470 monthly global searches
Meditation offers a wealth of benefits that extend beyond stress reduction and emotional well-being. It can:
- Improve communication skills
- Bring clarity of mind and better decision making
- Nurture creativity
- Improve focus and concentration
- Refresh the mind and help in stress reduction
- Renew you
- Spread happiness and peace
- Develop a pleasant personality
- Give you an unshakable smile
- Make you a master of time
- Give you a glimpse of infinity
8. “What Is the Difference Between Spirituality and Religion?” – 7,900 monthly global searches
Spirituality is about each person’s own search for what life means to them, whereas religion is more about being part of a group that follows certain rules and ceremonies to honor a higher power or God.
9. “What Should I Wear to Meditate?” – 6,880 monthly global searches
There isn’t a specific correct or incorrect clothing for meditation. What’s suitable varies individually. While some prefer meditating without any clothes in the privacy of their homes, others might choose comfortable clothing like sweatpants, yoga pants, tank tops, or T-shirts. The key is to wear what makes you feel comfortable at the moment.
10. “How Long Should I Meditate for?” – 5,380 monthly global searches
The answer here depends on where you are in your journey. As a beginner, even dedicating a few minutes a day to meditation is better than nothing. But most people start to see benefits when they commit 20 minutes a day over the long term.
Commenting on this study, meditation and breathwork experts at Art of Living said: “All the stress in our daily lives is leading more people to struggle with finding inner peace and balance. Consistently failing to find time for meditation can increase the risk of stress-related issues. Therefore, incorporating regular meditation into your daily routine is essential for maintaining mental and emotional well-being.”