A BBQ is simply not a BBQ without a potato salad, and what is a chargrilled steak without a tasty hassle back?
These tasty BBQ accompaniments make great side dishes and compliment any menu, also, bulking out expensive meat dishes with spuds makes garden cooking much for affordable, so you can bang on the barby daily!
Tasty BBQ accompaniments – New potato salad with cashew nuts and pomegranate seeds
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 50 minutes Serves 4 (as a side dish)
- 750g New potatoes, roasted and crushed
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Handful of lambs’ lettuce, washed
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 50g beetroot, cooked and shredded
- 100g cashew nuts
- 1 packet fresh halloumi, sliced, marinated and grilled
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Handful of chopped salad onions
- Balsamic reduction for drizzling
- Olive Oil
- Preheat your grill for indirect cooking at 190°C.
- Oil the New potatoes and place in a large skillet in the preheated BBQ.
- Cook until golden brown for approx. 50 minutes, shaking the pan every ten minutes or so and adding the fresh rosemary after 40 minutes.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, slice the halloumi, marinate in your favourite rub for ten minutes (we used Hoggy’s Maple and Chilli Rub) and place directly on the grill next to the potatoes for approximately four minutes each side. Remove from heat.
- Once the skins are golden brown, crush lightly with a fork until the skins “pop”.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl and toss lightly. Finally add the potatoes and mix.
- Drizzle with the balsamic reduction (or your favourite salad dressing) and serve.
Tasty BBQ accompaniments – Cheesy potato fritters with sweetcorn
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Serves 4
- 3 large russet potatoes, grated (approx. 340g)
- Half a white onion, sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 80g plain flour
- 200g tinned sweetcorn
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 120g cheddar cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- Plain Greek yoghurt
- Fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grate the potatoes into a kitchen towel and squeeze as much moisture out of them as possible.
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes with the onion, eggs, sweetcorn, flour, garlic powder, baking soda and cheddar cheese. Stir thoroughly until the mixture is evenly distributed and well combined. Don’t be scared to get your hands dirty!
- Oil and heat a large skillet or plancha on a medium to high heat on your grill of choice. Once the surface is hot (test this by adding a little bit of mixture to see if it sizzles) take a large spoonful of the mixture and drop onto the skillet.
- Once browned on one side (approx. three minutes), flip and brown the other side.
- If your BBQ has a warming shelf, place the cooked fritter on to it and repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Serve with the Greek yoghurt and chopped fresh chives.
Tip: If you’re not a sweetcorn fan, try mixing in grated courgette or carrot instead
Tasty BBQ accompaniments – Hasselback potatoes with pepperoni
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes Serves 4
- 12 individual New potatoes
- 150g melted butter
- 24 slices pepperoni or salami or your choice, cut in half
- Parmesan cheese to sprinkle
- Preheat your grill for indirect cooking to approximately 190°C.
- Thinly slice vertically each potato, leaving 1cm unsliced at the bottom. Helpful tip: if you slice off the bottom of the potato making it flat, then use 2 wooden spoons either side of your potato to prevent your knife being able to reach the cutting surface!
- Place your potatoes, flat side down, directly onto the grill and brush the cut sections with melted butter.
- Spread the pepperoni slices on the grill next to the potatoes and crisp up (approximately ten minutes). Remove from heat.
- After 20 minutes, brush again with melted butter and lay the potatoes on their sides.
- After another ten minutes, brush again with melted butter and change sides.
- After a further ten minutes, turn the potatoes back onto the flat side. At this point, the potatoes should have opened up and have a golden-brown colour. Leave a little longer if they do not look like this!
- Add four slices of crisped pepperoni per potato and serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and your favourite sauce.
Tasty BBQ accompaniments – Scalloped potatoes with smoky chipotle sauce and cheese
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 50 minutes Serves: 4
- 4 large baking potatoes, finely sliced
- 400ml fresh double cream
- 100ml smoky chipotle sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set up your grill for indirect cooking at around 200°C.
- In a large, oiled, ovenproof dish or cast-iron skillet arrange the sliced potatoes from the outside in.
- Mix the cream, chipotle sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper and half the parmesan together.
- After the second layer of potatoes, cover with a layer of the liquid.
- Continue with more potatoes, alternating with the liquid until everything is used up. Make sure your final layer is liquid, not potato!
- Sprinkle over the remaining parmesan cheese, place in the preheated BBQ and cook for approximately 50 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and the parmesan cheese is golden brown on top.