If there is one thing that skin loves, it is consistency and routine. The changing of the seasons, with the drop in temperature and battling against the elements, can lead to skin being tighter or drier than usual as it adjusts to the new environment.
Add in more hot showers and switching on the central heating, skin then must work much harder to remain hydrated. The skin barrier can become disrupted, and this can lead to more inflammation; with flare ups becoming more noticeable and skin sometimes becoming redder and more reactive.
So, how can you keep skin happy when the temperature drops and the heavens open?
Lynn Gray, Swiss brand Mavala’s resident skincare expert, recommends switching up your routine to include super hydrating ingredients and finding ways to lock in moisture.
- “Firstly, lifestyle changes can be really helpful; try and limit your hot showers to no more than five to ten minutes.
- Swap your cleanser for a cream-based cleanser – try the Mavala Clean and Comfort Caress Cleansing Milk (RRP £10.50). Concentrated in pure water from the Alps and Swiss dermo-soothing Mallow flower, it is enriched with Aloe vera, which has been used for millennia for its moisturising, soothing and emollient properties. Slightly film forming, it also helps maintain a proper skin hydration level and contributes to maintaining skin’s elasticity.
- Apply the rest of your skincare routine whilst your skin is still damp or give it a spritz of the Mavala Skin Vitality Alpine Micro-Mist (RRP: £18.40) for a burst of skin vitalising mist.
- Think about adding in a really hydrating serum to your regime. The Mavala AQUA PLUS Intensive Serum (RRP: £33.60) is highly concentrated in dermo-soothing Mallow flower and contains pure Hyaluronic acid in three different molecular weights; so the formula penetrates the layers of the epidermis to intensely re-infuse skin with moisture. The highest molecular weight of hyaluronic acid acts as a “protective coat”, it works immediately on the skin and helps prevent water loss. The particles fragmented in medium and low molecular weights deeply penetrate all layers of the epidermis to replenish cells with moisture.
- Choose a nourishing face cream like the Mavala Nutri-Elixir Ultimate Cream (RRP: £27.00) which is lipid replenishing and skin fortifying. It contains a patented pro-lipid booster that works to improve the natural lipid replenishment of the skin, as well as Swiss Linseed oil which is rich in Omega 3, 6 and 9 to moisturise the skin with nutri-protective lipids.
- Always apply an SPF, whatever the weather!”