If you’ve been looking for a treatment to combat skin aging and get a clear, glowing complexion, you might have stumbled upon the laser carbon peel. It’s one of the most talked-about cosmetic treatments. And for a good reason.
A laser carbon peel could be your secret weapon for softer, smoother, and blemish-free skin. In this article, we’ll discuss what the treatment involves, how it works, and who it’s for. By the time you reach the end of the post, you’ll have a good idea if this is the right treatment for you.
What Is a Laser Carbon Peel?
It’s a non-invasive procedure that rejuvenates the skin by targeting the appearance of unwanted marks, wrinkles, and fine lines. This treatment’s primary purpose is to safely and gently exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells and help regenerate a healthier skin layer.
You may have heard of Hollywood Peel, China Doll Laser Facial, or Charcoal Laser Peel – all of which are just different names for laser carbon peel. Depending on the clinic, they may use a different name for this laser treatment, but it’s all the same thing.
Laser carbon peel involves the application of a liquid carbon mask on the skin, which helps deeply treat the pores before exposing them to laser light.
Who Can Benefit From a Carbon Laser Peel?
A Carbon laser facial treatment exfoliates the skin, so it’s an excellent skincare treatment to maintain healthy and glowing skin. However, carbon laser peel treatment should definitely be considered if you struggle with a specific skin concern on the list below.
- Premature signs of aging such as wrinkles, fine lines, or declining skin elasticity
- Acne, acne scarring, or hyperpigmentation due to acne
- Excessively oily skin and enlarged pores
- Uneven skin tone due to melasma or sun damage
Carbon laser peel treatment specifically targets these concerns to give the skin a more youthful and healthier glow. It’s super-effective for acne-prone skin. In a 2010 trial, acne lesions were reduced by 90% after 6 carbon laser facial treatment sessions.
Now, let’s talk about what to expect during the procedure.
What to Expect During a Carbon Laser Facial
As mentioned earlier in this article, carbon laser peel is a non-invasive procedure. You may feel very slight heat as the laser touches your skin, but it’s pretty much painless. In some instances, it may feel like a very thin rubber band flicking your skin. However, it’s very tolerable, and you will get used to it as the treatment progresses.
And you don’t have to worry about downtime. You can go back to your usual daily routine right after the procedure.
The procedure is quite simple, and it usually just takes around 30 to 45 minutes for the complete facial treatment to wrap up. Before undergoing the treatment, discuss everything with the medical professional present in the clinic first. You may be asked if you have existing medical conditions or if you have recently undergone other skincare treatments. This will help the aesthetician determine if you can undergo the carbon laser peel or not.
The procedure goes like this:
- Your skin will be cleansed first to remove any dirt or excess oil. This will allow the liquid carbon mask to penetrate the pores effectively.
- A layer of liquid carbon mask (or charcoal mask) will be applied all over your face. It will take around 5 to 10 minutes to fully dry and get absorbed deeply into your skin.
- After the carbon mask has dried, your aesthetician will proceed to the laser treatment. You will be provided with eye protection to shield your eyes from the bright laser light.
- The aesthetician will pass the laser device onto the skin across the areas where the carbon mask was applied. The heat setting of the laser will depend on the aesthetician, based on your prior skin assessment.
- After the carbon laser peel treatment, a layer of moisturizer or serum and sunscreen will be applied to your skin.
What Happens After the Treatment?
A carbon laser facial has zero downtime. However, since the treatment involves laser and peeling, there are things you need to take note of to allow your skin to experience its effects fully.
Don’t use any strong exfoliants for at least one (1) week after the treatment. This includes retinol, peeling gels, scrubs, and exfoliating toners.
Make sure you moisturize daily using a gentle moisturizing cream or a highly-concentrated hydrating serum. This will help your skin produce new, healthy skin cells faster.
Always apply sunscreen that has at least SPF30+ to provide protection. After laser treatment, your skin will be more sensitive to the sun, so this step is very important.
If you’re planning to get dermal fillers after your carbon laser peel, inform the medical professional from the clinic. You may need to wait for a week or more first before you’re allowed to get fillers.
Is a Carbon Laser Peel Right For You?
Carbon laser peel is something you should try out if you’re struggling with skin concerns like skin aging, uneven skin tone, and acne. It can also be a great option if you’re looking for a treatment that can be a part of your maintenance skincare since this is something that works wonders when done regularly.