We could all be jumping out of bed in the morning with the launch of a new rose-hip-based supplement with the added benefits of ginger extract, aimed specifically at reducing morning joint stiffness and improving muscle recovery, whilst promoting long-term joint health.
Mornings can be tough enough at the best of times, without the added strain of stiff or aching joints that can put a damper on your day before you’re even out of bed.
Often overlooked as in ‘inevitable’ part of aging, many people accepting their creaking morning joints without consideration of the long term impact. However, joint stiffness may also be an early indication of Osteoarthritis (OA), a common chronic joint condition which can arise in any synovial joint in the body and is frequently experienced in the knee and hip joints.
Over time, the ‘wear and tear’ of joints can cause inflammation and accelerate the deterioration of cartilage inside the joint. It’s a painful condition that may occur naturally due to aging, or as a result of an active lifestyle.
Health Benefits of Ginger – Leading physiotherapist, Sammy Margo, who has over 30 years’ experience in treating patients with chronic joint conditions, comments:
“Joint stiffness or pain, especially in the load-bearing joints such as the knees or lower back, could be a warning sign for the start of something more serious and can affect anyone at any age. Young adults are just as at risk of developing joint conditions from repetitive injuries or over usage as an adult that experiences arthritic conditions due to their age.
“Early intervention is key, especially when dealing with the impact of joint conditions on an ever-aging population, and by adding a supplement to your daily routine, alongside maintaining a well-balanced and varied diet, can offer additional support to achieving optimal joint health. The double anti-inflammatory effects of GOPO® and ginger combined provide targeted relief to safeguard your joints and maintain an active lifestyle.”
GOPO® Joint Health Plus Ginger is the first UK supplement to contain the unique combination of ginger extracts with the powerful anti-inflammatory GOPO® – a galactolipid extracted from the seeds and husks of the rosa-canina plant. Research suggests that both active compounds offer multiple benefits, for instance:
- Both GOPO and Ginger has been shown to reduce the symptoms of OA, reducing pain and stiffness[i],iii. Taking ginger at the early stages of OA before the joint destructs offers the best results and can help to reduce the severity and frequency of joint pain, protecting the knee from total joint destruction[ii].
- Ginger has been shown to activate anti-inflammatory proteins to reduce morning joint stiffness and muscle pain by 25%[iii]
- GOPO® has been shown to protect, potentially even regenerating, cartilage and improve joint flexibility[iv]
- Both Ginger and GOPO® have been recommended as a long-term solution to improve joint health and reduce the need for ibuprofen or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
Health Benefits of Ginger – Here are Sammy Margo’s top tips to protect and prolong your joint health, putting a spring in your step from dawn until dusk;
- Strengthen and stretch: Strong muscles and regular stretching ensure the joints are well supported. Regular stretching helps to keep joints and tendons flexible. If muscles are tight, the range of motion can feel restricted which adds extra pressure to the joint tissues.
- Add an anti-inflammatory supplement to your diet: Arthritic conditions benefit from foods which reduce inflammation and boost your immune system. GOPOâ Joint Health Plus Ginger contains specially cultivated rose-hip powder and ginger which have been clinically reviewed to provide a safe alternative to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and relieve stiff joints the morning after intense exercise. The active compound within rosehip known as GOPOâ prevents the migration of white blood cells to the inflamed tissues by switching off the genes responsible for inflammation and destruction.
- Mix up your movements: Adding variety to your workout routines can relieve pressure and reduce impact on lode-bearing joints. If you’re used to exercising multiple times a week, make sure you mix it up. Why not try cycling or focus on your flexibility with a Pilates session.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Excess weight puts additional stress on joints which can accelerate the risk of OA, especially in the knees. Studies have shown that every pound of weight lost in obese adults will result in a four-fold reduction on the load exerted on the knee[v]. Losing a few pounds can go a long way to improving your overall health and wellbeing.
- Wear appropriate footwear: If you exercise regularly it’s important to have shoes that offer enough cushioning and support to prevent trauma to the joints and bones. Invest in good quality footwear that fit well and are appropriate for the type of exercise you choose to do.