After what has already been a challenging start to the year, what better way to bring some joy to 2021 by celebrating Mother’s Day with some delicious Italian food?
Seeing as Mother’s Day is the 4th most popular national celebration, its only right it gets celebrated properly!
Give your Mum and the family a meal to remember, courtesy of the experts at Barilla, an Italian pasta company since 1877, this family-run business know what it means to cook good-hearted, family food.
Whether you’re the head chef of the house, or the assistant looking to take the lead role, these meals have something for all and will be sure to impress this Mother’s Day, just don’t forget to do the washing up!
With meals ranging from classic Italian dishes such as spaghetti and meatballs, which are guaranteed to go down a treat with the family, or really pushing the boat out and preparing delicious seafood linguine, these recipes from pasta experts at Barilla have got something for everybody this Mother’s Day.
Italian Recipes – Lasagne with Pesto Genovese, French Beans and Potato
Difficulty – Medium. Prep time – 25 minutes. Cooking time – 20 minutes
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 10 Barilla lasagne sheets
- 1 jar Pesto Genovese Barilla
- 200 g semi-boiled, then peeled cubes of potatoes
- 200 g French beans, cut 2cm longwise and blanched
- 900 g Semi-skimmed milk
- 50 g Plain white flour
- 50 g Butter
- 60 g Raped Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt, nutmeg to taste
1. To prepare the béchamel, melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and mix well.
2. Boil the milk in a separate pan, ensuring you stir constantly to avoid lumps. Season with salt and a bit of nutmeg then set aside.
3. Grease a baking pan with a bit of butter and pour on the bottom a first layer of the cooked potatoes and French beans.
4. Then add a layer on top of lasagne sheets, followed by another layer of veggies.
5. Sprinkle with raped Parmigiano Reggiano and continue to alternate layers of lasagne and veggies.
6. Leave a layer of sauce on the top, sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano and bake in the over at 180° for 20 minutes.
7. Wait until it’s baked golden and crunchy on top, leave for 2 minutes to rest, then serve. Enjoy with a side salad and garlic bread!
Italian Recipes – Seafood Linguine
Difficulty – Hard. Prep – 35 minutes. Cooking – 25 minutes
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 340 g Barilla Linguine
- 500 g Clams, fresh (200g clean) – once you have soaked in clean water to remove salt water, sand etc.
- 250 g Baby squids
- 150 g Shrimps
- 8 Scallops (120g clean)
- 40 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced Parsley
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Chilli Pepper
- Salt and white Pepper
- Wash the clams carefully, changing the water several times to remove sand residue
- Wash the calamari under running water and cut into small chunks
- Shell the shrimp and remove the black wire before cutting into small pieces
- Open the scallop shells with a small knife, carefully sticking it down the centre of the two scallops. Remove the scallops and black wires, wash them and cut them in half
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with the whole peeled garlic and the chilli pepper
- After a few seconds, add the chopped parsley and the clams. Cover the pan and allow the clams to open
- Remove the clams from the valves but keep a few whole ones to use as garnish. Filter the remaining broth and set aside
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and cook the calamari for one minute, then add the shrimp, scallops, and the clams, together with the filtered broth
- Cook the linguine in a large amount of slightly salted boiling water until al dente, drain, and pour into the pan with the rest of the sauce
- Add the remaining extra virgin olive oil to create an emulsion and season with white pepper
Italian Recipes – Spaghetti with meatballs
Difficulty –Medium. Prep time – 15 minutes Cooking time – 25 minutes
Ingredients for 4 people
- 210 g Barilla Spaghetti
- 65 g onion, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 400 g tomato Passata
- 150 g beef minced
- 20 g Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- Black pepper
- 50 g pecorino cheese, grated
1. Bring a large amount of salted water (7g salt for 1 L of water) to a boil.
2. To prepare the meatballs, in a mixing bowl combine the meat, parmesan cheese and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
3. Shape the meatballs (1 cm each) and set aside.
3. To prepare the sauce, in a large skillet add the olive oil over medium heat, add the onion, carrot and stir them until translucent.
3. Next add the tomato passata and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the meatballs.
4. Cover with the lid and let the sauce simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally without breaking the meatballs.
5. Cook the pasta according to pack instructions and drain two minutes before the suggested cooking time on the package.
6. Combine the cooked pasta with the sauce, finish cooking with half a ladle of pasta water, and add Parmigiano Reggiano.
7. Serve the pasta and garnish with the meatballs on top and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.